Bathampton School has a long and rich history stretching back over 200 years through Edwardian and Victorian eras to present today. During this time, the school has existed through significant local and national events which have shaped life at the school and in the local Parish community. See below the potted history of the school through the 1800s and 1900s, and if you want to know more detail click here.
The earliest tangible evidence of a school at Bathampton dates back to 1804 with fragments of an embroidered picture of a lady in a garden, representing `Simplicity’, created by Mary Wilton a pupil at Bathampton School at the time.
The first existing logbook begins. We know that the school building was then near but not on the existing site. All the children were taught together. Their lessons consisted of Reading, Dictation, Arithmetic and Bible Classes. The children at school at that time being reported as ‘inattentive and noisy on occasions.’
The Infants moved to a separate room. Payment to the school was still by results in tests and attendance. In the days before the test, the attendance always improved as parents obviously wanted to keep their school.
In 1876 education became compulsory, but just a year later the school was closed for a month due to a Measles epidemic and sadly two children from the village died from contracting the disease.
The School was closed due to severe flooding in the village.
A new gallery was built and the children had new desks, the first recorded remodelling exactly one hundred years before the major remodelling in 1990.
The first log book ends. The next log book is missing and so there are no written records until the next log book starts in 1923.
The next log book starts recording 42 children. In that year, nearly 25 years after it was built, the School House was repaired and decorated.
A new illness is noted in as a `flu epidemic’, which caused nearly 50 children to be absent.
The new Education Act changed forever education in this country. Children now stayed at school until they were 15 years old. During this year, and in spite of the war, the new canteen was built at the back of the school.
A new Headteacher, Mrs Kendall, was appointed to replace Mrs Oakey. She was to remain Headteacher for 21 years.
The school expanded again when the new Elliot caravan classroom was positioned on the old station master’s garden. Mrs Kendall, retired.
Although children’s health had improved, the school was hit by the `flu epidemic and 50% of the school were absent. Also, in 1982 the first direct meetings relating to remodelling the school were held.
The official re-opening of the remodelled school took place preparing the school, pupils and staff well for the forthcoming decade and the advent of the new millennium.